Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Peck of Pickled Peppers

It is November and I am still being overrun with banana peppers from the garden. I have never been so successful at growing anything in all my life. They just keep coming and coming. So after our harvest this week (hopefully our final harvest), I decided to make sweet pickled peppers.



Seed the peppers just like I described for hot pepper butter and remember to wear gloves! I got brazen and wore only one pair of gloves and my hands are burning as I type this.

Slice them into rings.



Stir together 4 cups vinegar and 1 1/3 cup sugar in a large pot. (This will make about 5 pints, make more or less of the brine depending on how many peppers you have)



Add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds.



Add 1 teaspoon celery seeds. stir and heat to a boil.



Pack sterilized pint or quart jars with peppers and fill with vinegar mixture leaving 1/2" headspace.



Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.


I promise my next canning post will not involve peppers.



No comments:

Post a Comment