Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Apple Jacks

A good friend of mine mentioned a few weeks ago that she was craving "Apple Jacks" that her mom used to make for her but she didn't know how to make it (not the cereal or alcoholic variety Apple Jacks). I'd never heard of this before so I was intrigued. Later that week at the state fair, I found an apple concession stand that advertised Apple Jacks. I talked to the woman behind the counter and asked her how to make them and I also did some searching on the internet. It is basically like a flat apple pie, kind of like a cross between an apple pie, a turnover and a pop-tart.

Here's how to make them.

Start with 3-4 good tart apples like a Granny Smith. Peel and slice thinly.



Roll out a pie crust (I use a pre-made crust) onto a cookie sheet.
Press it out as far as you can stretch it without tearing it.



In a small bowl, mix together 1 Tablespoon flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg



Spread the apples over the pie crust, sprinkle with the sugar mixture to coat the apples.



Cover with another pie crust and pinch to seal the edges.



Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.



The final product. Delicious and easy to pick up and eat.



If you want to go over the top, make a glaze by mixing 2 1/2 T melted butter with 1 cup powdered sugar and 1/4 tsp vanilla. (I was out of powdered sugar when I made this one but if not I would have definitely done this)

Drizzle over top of the Apple Jack. Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment