Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Ultimate Comfort Food: Chicken Pot Pie with Sweet Potato Crust

One of my favorite comfort foods is Chicken Pot Pie. Today Jason asked me to "whip something up" to take to a good friend who had had a death in the family. So I decided to make my Chicken Pot Pie with Sweet Potato crust and chocolate chip cookies. What can be better than that? (I made the same for us too)

First get a chicken in a pot. I like to cook a chicken in my crockpot, but you could boil one in a pot on a stovetop as well. When cooking a chicken in a crockpot (electric gadget #1), I put balls of aluminum foil underneath to keep it up off the bottom so it cooks evenly. I season with salt and pepper. This crockpot here cooks way too hot, so a chicken is done on high in about 2-4 hours. A normal crockpot would probably cook a chicken in 4-6 hours on high. If you want to, get a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and skip this step.


Next peel and chop a sweet potato into even chunks. If you don't have a steamer (electric gadget #2) like this, go and get you one. It's worth it believe me. Let me know when you get back.

OK, now that you have your steamer, turn it on for about 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are very soft and easily mashable.


Take the potatoes out and mash the heck out of them. Then let them chill out and cool completely.

Now chop some carrots and throw them in the steamer. We just want to cook them slightly, for about 5-10 minutes to soften them up.

Now in a food processor (electric gadget #3) mix 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Take a stick of butter out of the fridge, make sure it's nice and cold. Cut 1/4 cup of butter into little chunks and pulse it into the flour mixture until it has a grainy texture.


Add 1 cup of the sweet potato mixture.

Turn the dough out of the bowl (it will be sticky). Add flour and work it just enough so it looks like this. (don't over work it) I usually put it in the refrigerator for an hour or so to make it easier to roll out later.

When the chicken gets done, take it out and tear it apart. I love my chicken shredded.

Now make a white sauce. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add 2 tablespoons of flour.

Whisk it together.

Whisk in 2 cups of warm milk. The warm milk is crucial to keep the butter in liquid form. Microwave for 1 minute intervals, whisking in between until the sauce thickens. If you can't get it to thicken, add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Mix the chicken, carrots and some corn together. I don't like anything green in my pot pie because it always gets overcooked and turns that greenish grey color. Ewww.

Mix the white sauce in and put the mixture into a deep dish pie pan.

Roll out the dough to the size of your pie plate. Add flour if it gets too sticky. I hate rolling out dough so I do it between some Saran wrap, but flour is key, unless you like Saran wrap in your pot pie.

Finally put the crust on top and form the crust around the edges.

Bake for about 35 minutes at 350 degrees.

These are so good it distracted me so much I didn't take any final pictures of it after it was done. Jason whisked the one away to take to his friend and we ate the other before I thought of it. So picture the picture above but a darker, richer orange color. I don't even like sweet potatoes and I love this pie. Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment