Friday, October 9, 2009

Jalapeno Popper Grilled Chicken

This is one of my favorite ways to grill chicken. There are many variations to this recipe that I've tried and liked, but this is my favorite.

I should probably stop here to mention that I am the griller in our family, not necessarily by choice....mostly due to the fact that I failed to discover the total lack of my husband's grilling skills until after the rings were exchanged. Not that it would have been a deal breaker, but it would have been nice to know what I was getting myself into, ya know? We've somehow managed to muddle through the past 11 years with my grilling learning curve but I think I am finally getting there.

OK back to the recipe. In a bowl, mix 4 oz cream cheese, a handful of shredded cheese and a couple spoonfuls (depending on how much heat you can handle) of bottled diced jalapenos (I buy mine already diced) into a gloppy mess. Did I just say gloppy? Well you know what I mean.


Now this is the most critical part. Make a pocket like this in a boneless chicken breast. It's best to start on the fattest side. Use a short sharp knife and make a slice parallel to your cutting board, making sure you don't cut all the way through.


Stuff the pocket with your cream cheese mixture. For the kids I just use cheese.
I've also used horseradish and cheese. It's all good!


Wrap up each chicken breast with bacon, use 2 pieces if you have to (have to, shoot, who wouldn't want to?) but make sure you cover up your pocket well. You can use toothpicks to secure, but if you have any young children in the house like we do, toothpicks last about 24 hours max in the house before they are hijacked for science experiments, newly invented mouse traps or 'interesting' works of art. So I didn't have any here and managed to pull it off without them. Oh and make sure you warn your family if you do use toothpicks because biting into a chargrilled toothpick is no fun at all.


Throw those beauties on the grill. I prefer to grill my chicken on about a medium heat so that it can have a chance to cook before it gets charred beyond recognition. It usually takes about 7-8 minutes per side at this temperature. Be patient. One tip, if you can't easily flip the chicken, it is not ready to flip. It will eventually let go of it's hold on the grill. Encourage it to "just let go" but don't nag it and definitely don't force it.

Now brush on your favorite barbeque sauce...no comments on my brush please. It works. Form follows function, right?


The final product. Let them cool for 4-5 minutes before you serve because the insides are just short of molten lava temps hot off the grill.


No comments:

Post a Comment