Thursday, October 15, 2009

Fried Green Tomatoes

This is a great time of year to make fried green tomatoes since tomato plants are still producing tomatoes that probably won't ripen before the end of the season. They should be available in the farmer's market as well. This is my own secret recipe that I've created from combining different elements of many different recipes I've tried, though using ranch dressing is a twist of my own that was probably a sub for buttermilk somewhere along the way.


This is one of the heirloom varieties that I grew this year. It's actually a purple tomato, if it had been allowed to live life to it's fullest.



Slice the tomato and season with salt. Sometimes I sprinkle a little sugar on them too, but I love sugar on my tomatoes, I'm just weird that way. Trust me, it's good.



In one bowl put equal amounts of flour, corn meal and bread crumbs. I used Panko breadcrumbs here, but I think I really prefer just plain old dry breadcrumbs. I just like their texture and taste better for this.

In another bowl put ranch dressing and a couple splashes of hot sauce and mix.


Dredge the tomato slices in the dressing and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture.



Fry in 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat until they are golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.



Introducing the star of this movie...take a bow fried green tomatoes! 2 thumbs up! 5 stars!

Sorry, no more corny movie quotes, I promise!



No comments:

Post a Comment