Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sweet Potato Black Bean Empanadas

Whenever I make Chicken Pot Pie with a Sweet Potato Crust, I always steam an extra sweet potato or two so I can make a few extra pie crusts to make empanadas. I made them tonight and you know your family likes something when they start talking about selling them and how much they should be and by the end of the meal they have an entire business plan worked out.

The kids are minimalists, so I fill theirs with cheese only, but for the grown ups I fill them with a black bean and corn mixture that is delicious.

I need to add the disclaimer that these are not the easiest things to make. But once you taste one, it will motivate you to make them again. Of course I think any recipe that requires a rolling pin is not easy.

The key is to keep the pie crust dough cold. I usually make the pot pie and put the extra pie crusts in the fridge for a few days until we are ready for the empanadas.

Make the filling first so it has time to cool.

In 2 T of oil in a large skillet over medium heat, cook onion until translucent.


Add 1 can black beans, drained and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or chipotle pepper.
Stir and heat for 1 minute.


Slightly mash beans with a fork.
This is where it starts to not look so good, but stick with me.


Add about 1 cup corn. Stir to combine.
If it was up to me I would add some cilantro at this point.
But Jason is not a fan of cilantro, so I left it out.
Allow the mixture to cool.


On a floured surface, roll the pie crust into a 12"x12" square, about 1/8 to 1/4" thick.

Note I actually had 2 pie crusts for the amount of filling above and still had some leftover. I saved it for quesadillas or burritos. One meal keeps leading into the next.

Divide the square into 9 equal squares.


Transfer each square to a baking sheet.
Work quickly before the dough gets warm.

Add 1 teaspoon of the cooled bean mixture to each square.
Cover with about 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese.

Fold over diagonally and crimp to seal.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Serve warm.



Sweet Potato Black Bean Empanadas

1 recipe Sweet Potato Pie Crust
2 T oil
1/2 medium onion diced
1 cup canned black beans, drained
1/8 teaspoon cayenne or chipotle pepper
1/2 cup corn
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)

In a skillet, cook onion over medium heat until translucent. Add black beans and pepper. Stir and heat for 1 minute. Mash beans slightly with a fork. Stir in corn. Allow mixture to cool.

Roll out pie crust dough to a 12" x 12" square. Equally divide into 9 squares. Transfer to a baking sheet. Add 1 teaspoon of cooled bean mixture to a corner of each square and top with 1 T shredded cheese. Diagonally fold opposite corner over to form a triangle and crimp the edges.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment