Friday, February 12, 2010

Cake Pops

When school holiday parties come around, I like to pretend like I'm a stay at home mom with time to make homemade treats for the kids.

So what actually happens is I work all day, drive the 45 minute commute, stop at 2 stores to get the supplies I need, get home, help/supervise/yell/motivate 2 kids to make valentines for their classes, then help/supervise/yell/motivate 2 kids to do their homework, somehow get some dinner, put the kids to bed, sit down for 5 minutes and then get started on the homemade treats.

This is usually when I start asking the hard questions like "Why in the heck am I doing this? Why couldn't I just make or better yet buy some cupcakes? Why is my husband looking at me like I'm crazy? Am I crazy? Would I know if I actually was crazy?"

Anyway, I saw these Cake Pops on the Bakerella blog and they only had 3 ingredients so I thought that they must be easy. They turned out really well and were the hit of the parties so it was worth it, but I had my doubts along the way, especially around midnight when I was still making little red velvet cake meatballs on a stick. The mess in my kitchen from the red cake looked like another Valentine's Day massacre had gone down. It was everywhere.

All the kids and grown ups loved them, and all the moms asked for the recipe. Who doesn't love something on a stick?





Check out Bakerella.com for even more amazing Cake Pops. It was all I could do to get the sprinkles on them, but she makes them into flowers, reindeer, apples, sheep, rabbits, chicks, Hello Kitty, etc. It's amazing!

Here's the basic recipe:

Cake Pops (from Bakerella.com)

1 box red velvet cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)
1 can cream cheese frosting (16 oz.)
1 package chocolate bark or candy coating (regular or white chocolate)
wax paper

1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can cream cheese frosting. (It may be easier to use fingers to mix together, but be warned it will get messy.)
3. Roll mixture into quarter to ping pong ball size balls and lay on cookie sheet. Insert stick. (Should make 25. You can get even more if you use a mini ice cream scooper, but I like to hand roll them.)
4. Chill for several hours. (You can speed this up by putting in the freezer.)
5. Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on package.
6. Roll balls in chocolate, decorate and lay on wax paper or insert stick in styrofoam until firm. (Use a spoon to dip and roll in chocolate and then tap off extra.)

No comments:

Post a Comment