Thursday, January 7, 2010

Jambalaya Grits

I got a hankerin' for Jambalaya last night and I actually had the ingredients that I needed that I don't normally have on hand: chicken, smoked sausage, a green pepper. When I started gathering everything together, I realized that I didn't have any rice, which is something I usually always have on hand. Go figure.

I wasn't about to give up though. I searched and searched my pantry for anything I could possibly substitute and I settled on grits. What the heck, I thought, let's give it a try.


It was so good I was looking forward to eating the leftovers the next day as soon as we finished our meal. Jambalaya usually tastes even better the next day so I couldn't hardly wait. Even if you don't like grits, which I normally don't, you should try this. This would also be excellent with shrimp.


First chop up a green pepper and a medium onion.


In a large pot, fry the peppers and onion in a couple tablespoons of oil
until the onions become translucent.


Grab your grits and some Cajun jambalaya seasoning. I used to mix up my own jambalaya seasoning, until one time I accidentally switched the paprika and the cayenne pepper measurements and made molten jambalaya that was inedible it was so hot. So now I buy the premixed stuff and it is just as good.

Add about 2 Tablespoons of the seasoning.

Add 1 cup of grits. Stir and cook the grits for a few minutes until
they are thoroughly coated with seasoning and are slightly toasted.


Now grab some chicken broth and a 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes.

Add 3 cups of broth and the can of tomatoes to the pot.

Cover and cook on medium low for about 5 minutes if you used quick grits.
Otherwise follow the instructions on your grits package.


Shred about 1 pound of chicken or about 2-3 cups. Chop up 1 package of smoked sausage into bite sized pieces. I use lowfat turkey sausage.

Add the chicken and the sausage to the pot and stir to combine it all.
Cook for another 5 minutes or until heated through.


Here is the final product. Yum.


Jambalaya Grits

2 T canola or olive oil
1 med green pepper, diced
1 med onion, diced
2-3 T Jambalaya seasoning
1 cup quick cooking grits
3 cups chicken broth
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
2-3 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 package smoked turkey sausage, cut into bite size pieces

In a large pot, stir fry pepper and onion in oil until onion is translucent. Add seasoning and grits. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until grits are thoroughly coated with seasoning and are slightly toasted. Add broth and tomatoes. Cover and cook on medium low heat for 5 minutes. Add chicken and sausage. Stir and cook for 5 minutes until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment