Saturday, August 14, 2010

Book Review: "Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"

As the summer draws to an end, I thought I'd highlight some of the excellent books I've read in the past few months. I love to read books based in history (love the ones that are based on actual events/places) and small town, rural and/or western America, but I'm not afraid to venture out to read anything (when I have time to read of course, which is rare).

The first book I read this summer was "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Anne Barrows.


I wasn't sure whether I'd like this book, because it is written entirely as a series of letters and telegrams between the main characters. But I ended up loving it. The book takes place post World War II in London and Guernsey Island. Guernsey is one of the Channel Islands between England and France. Honestly, I had never even heard of this island let alone it's strategic position in the war.

This novel has both bright and dark elements, interweaving the tragic events that occurred during the German occupation of the island with humorous post-war recovery stories of the quirky islanders and the main character, a successful London journalist, looking for a subject for her next book.

I highly recommend this book, it's one that is hard to put down and gives a great look into what England and Europe were like post WWII.

No comments:

Post a Comment